When considering the purchase of custom printed USB flash drives for use as a promotional giveaway or business gift, buyer’s should be aware that not all flash drives are created equal. Here are some important points to consider:
1. Be sure to select the appropriate memory size. Standard memory sizes available for promotional USB flash drives start around 256MB and can go up to 32 GB. Standard memory capacities are: 256 MB, 512 BM, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GV, 16 GV and 32 GB. Choosing a 256 MB drive may be quite a bit cheaper than options with more memory capacity, but 256 MB is not sufficient storage space to hold a significant amount of data. If you are considering purchasing a flash drive with your logo to give away as a business gift, a 2 GB flash drive would be a great choice.
2. If you are planning on loading files onto the flash drives before giving them away, keep in mind that many times the files can be pre-loaded for you. If you do not see this option listed for the product that you are considering, simply make an inquiry or request this service when placing your order.
3. If you decide to have your files pre-loaded onto the flash drives as mentioned in point #2 and are concerned about protecting access to the files; many times you can request a layer of encryption for security. AES-256 bit (Advanced Encryption Standard 256 bit) provides strong encryption of protected contents using algorithms to protect your records. AES is the new Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) and used to protect sensitive information by U.S.Government organizations (and others).
4. Some USB flash drives generate a lot of heat and can get somewhat hot to the touch after a few minutes of use. This is normal and is usually caused by transferring large amounts of data to the drive. Keep in mind that metal absorbs heat faster than plastic, so the metal parts will run hotter than plastic, wood or other materials.
5. Looking for a flash drive with ultra fast data transfer speeds? Then consider selecting a drive that has the option of USB 3.0 speed which is also backwards compatible with USB 2.0. This is a fairly new technology so this option may not be readily available for most styles. Most flash drives are currently still made with USB 2.0 technology.
6. For easy portability, consider a USB flash drive with a keychain or lanyard attachment.
7. Allow enough time for production. 2-3 weeks is a good rule of thumb and will give a broad range of choices.
8. Do you have a unique logo or mascot or are you looking to showcase a new product or brand? Consider a custom shaped PVC flash drive.
10. Request a sample. If you haven’t waited until the last minute to place your order, it’s always good practice to request a sample in advance of placing your order. At Brand Spirit, most flash drive samples are sent at no charge.
With hundreds of USB Flash Drive styles, shapes and styles to choose from, we are happy to make it easy for you and recommend the best options to meet your needs.